1000 random and brief movie reviews
Google
Thursday, May 01, 2008
Just when you thought it was safe to check back, here is one summer movie that I left off my "Will probaly see this" list.

The Strangers- May 30 2008

No its not another Camus rip off, this is the debut of unheralded screen writer/director Bryan Bertino(Yes I keep having to resist typing Brian Boitano), who a few scant years ago was a handyman freshly arrived in Hollywood from Texas, working as a gaffer and hoping to break into the electrician's union. Setting out to create a suspense/horror thriller, Bertino first had to decide "what scared me the most". He decided that," the moments that I'm most frightened are my girlfriend waking me up in the middle of the night and saying, 'I think there's someone in the living room.' So the whole idea came about as, 'What if you went into the living room and there was somebody there?' "

Bertino sculpted this unease into a heart pounding thriller that, depending on the blogger, may or may not be based on a true story. Bertino submitted his script for the Nicholl Fellowship, a 30 prize for unproduced writer, but instead landed represetntation and a deal with Universal initially worth low six figures now cosideralby more. Bertino's luck continued when the director slated to film The Strangers insisted that he could not possibly film it for less than $40 million. The studio heartily agreed with this assessment and therefore asked Bertino to bring it in for much less. Judging by the clip below, it was a pretty good call.

0 Comments: