1000 random and brief movie reviews
Google
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Ok, as per Friday estimates Cloverfield pulled in about 16.75 million in only the first day of the 4 day holiday weekend. That means it will likeley bring in over 40 mllion for the weekend which is about 160% of its budget making it an unqualified smash. That said, can I ask one more time what is interesting about a monster movie without a monster. I didnt get Blair Witch. I don't get Cloverfield. I hate shaky hand point of view flicks. I hate casts of snarky twenty somethings spewing what passes for clever dialouge. But I guess what I think doesnt matter. JJ Abrahams wins this one with a Round One TKO. He continues to grow as a force in Hollywood and his handling of the Star Trek reimagining and Speed Racer later this year could cement him as a permanent fixture in that firmament. But, is that a good thing for movie fans???

0 Comments: